Re: Basic citations: should default citation style have a name and style

From: William Denton
Subject: Re: Basic citations: should default citation style have a name and style code?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 16:36:55 +0000

On Thursday, January 11th, 2024 at 07:30, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
wrote:

> > As far as I can tell, there's nothing that can be done to the first
> > citation object to make it use the "default" style. The
> > document-level setting makes a new default, and because the original
> > "default" has no name or style code, there's no way to get at it.
>
> You can just use [cite/nil:@friends].

Huh!  Thanks, I didn't see that at all.  Looking again at the definition of
org-cite-basic-export-citation in oc-basic.el, I see the doc string says,
"Export CITATION object. STYLE is the expected citation style, as a pair of
strings or nil."  And then there's a section below starting:

    ;; Default ("nil") style.

Now that I know what that does, I can sort of see what's going on.  The same
thing is in the CSL code as well, so it's all making more sense now.

Thanks,

Bill

--
William Denton