emacs-tangents

Sv: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: arthur miller
Subject: Sv: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 06:31:15 +0000

"Researching nonfree software is usually a bad thing to do, because
people generally do it so as to use or develop nonfree software.  On
the other hand, if it is to help replace those nonfree programs, that
is a good thing."

Knifes are bad thing because they are used to hurt people. But if they
are used to slice bread and potatoes, that is a good thing.

A tool has no moral value in itself. Not even an action The moral value
is in the eye of beholder. (I think it was D. Hume first).

Sounds it would be very difficult for any GNU developer to replace
a feature in or entire non-free appliction if they are not allowed to
even mention that application or use it etc.

I think there is an instrinsical value in using Free software. I don't
think people need prohibitions to achieve transition toward
openess. I see general tendency toward openess in the society.

However, I believe human psychology must be taken into consi-
deration for success of any project of life-style matter, which I
perceive GNU is. I believe that refusal to not even mention by name
or a reference to non-free software will sound rather extreme to
many people, and might even turn away some. It is also practially
less useful than to be able to refer to something in order to at
least condemn it or study it.

I believe that it is a much better strategy to offer people a better
choice.