[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Improvements to planner-create-note-from-task

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Improvements to planner-create-note-from-task
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:57:41 +0900

Chris Parsons <address@hidden> writes:

> Well, I was using the excellent new planner-create-note-from-task,
> and thought, "wouldn't it be nice to have the note optionally
> created on the plan page rather than the (less useful) date page? I
> must ask Sacha to do that." And then I thought, "No! I'll venture
> into the previously unchartered depths of lisp programming... and
> work out how to do it myself."

Wow! ^_^ Welcome to the wonderful world of Lisp hacking! See, isn't it
so much fun? I'm thrilled to hear that you found it easy to get into.
You're not the first person who started with Emacs Lisp because of
these "Wouldn't it be nice..." thoughts. We really should have some
kind of Planner hacking guide... ^_^

One of the things I really, really like about planner is the fact that
people find it easy to hack. This means I don't have to come up with a
lot of cool ideas. In fact, all the cool stuff coming out these days
came from this list!

Also, I can let a half-baked implementation out into the wild for
people to hack on, trusting that people will eventually smooth over
the annoying parts of the interface. <grin>

> PS: Sacha, I couldn't work out a better way of finding whether we
> are on a date page or not... is there one?

Heh. When I first merged your patch, I changed the condition to match
the planner-date-regexp check in the other functions. Upon further
reflection (and a little bit of M-: eval testing), I realized that
your way was actually better. Switched it back. Embarrassing; silly
maintainer alert!

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, CS ed