[emacs-wiki-discuss] XEmacs and character classes

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] XEmacs and character classes
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:39:20 +0000 (UTC)

Much to my dismay, I realized today that XEmacs does not seem to support
character classes in regexps, such as [:space:].

My main concern is that if I revert the code so that no character classes are
used, hard spaces and international upper/lower-case characters may no longer
work.  It seems like the best option is to make a variable called
`emacs-wiki-blank-regexp' that is then concat'ed in the right place of the
definitions of the other regexps.  If Emacs 21 or greater is used, set it to
"[:blank:]".  Otherwise set it to something like " \t\v".  "[:space:]" could
then be emulated with (concat emacs-wiki-blank-regexp "\n").

Advice is welcome!  Especially if there is some add-on package for XEmacs that
could somehow redefine the regexp rules to use character classes.