Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Idea: split off the annotation code

From: Frederik Fouvry
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Idea: split off the annotation code
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:34:03 +0100 (CET)

,-- On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:26:40 +0900, Sacha Chua wrote:

| planner-*.el source code falls into two categories:
|
| - code and tweaks related to planning
| - hyperlinking support for various Emacs modules
|
| Let's split off the hyperlink annotation code so that non-planner
| people can take advantage of hyperlinking from everywhere, too. =) If
| we move the automatic annotation code into another package and then
| make emacs-wiki, remember and planner suggest it, we can make
| planner-el simpler while also making it easier for people using other
| personal information managers to try out this funky hyperlinking thing
| we know and love. Imagine using ffap, browse-url, or a minor mode that
| knows about all our funky URLs. <grin>
|
| Splitting off the annotation code alsos mean that the planner-el
| codebase can focus on just the planning aspect. =)
|
| I could probably sit down one afternoon and split the code, but it
| might be a good opportunity for someone who'd like to make a pretty
| nifty contribution to Emacs and open source software. Any volunteers?
| =)

Re something similar, viz. the connections to Info, mail (RMAIL, VM,
Gnus, unix mail, ...), and so on: would it not be good to have these
loaded by default when both planner/remember and the package in
question are loaded?  I cannot really think of a reason why you would
want to switch off the feature, and one wouldn't have to read through
files to decided which extension you want.  When the extensions are
still unstable, it makes sense to disable them by default, but I
should think they've been tested enough.

Cheers,

Frederik