Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Proposed changes in emacs-wiki-journal

From: Yamagata Yoriyuki
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Proposed changes in emacs-wiki-journal
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:12:11 +0900 (JST)

Hi,

From: Michael Olson <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:04:05 -0500

> ** Future changes
>
> I would like to have things set up so that when you make a new entry,
> the new entry is placed in a file called
> Category<my_category>.yyyy.mm, where "<my_category>" is the name of
> the category you choose, "yyyy" is the year, and "mm" is the month.
>
> This serves the purpose of keeping your journal page from getting too
> clogged with entries, without having to rely on the <default_page>.nn
> syntax.  Those who browse your website can click on a particular
> category that they are interested in, and they can see all the entries
> for a given month.
>
> Before control is given back to the user,
> `emacs-wiki-journal-add-entry' will also add a line to
> Category<my_category>, just as it did before.  I think what I would
> like to do is introduce a "<journal-entries>" tag that would allow you
> to have a certain number of the latest entries inserted at that point
> during publish time.
>
> For example, I could put the following in my MyJournal file.
>
> <journal-entries num="4" from="all">
>
> This would insert the latest 4 entries from throughout my Categories
> (not 4 from each category).  Another use that I can think of: If I
> have a journal file called CategoryWebpage that is devoted to news
> about the changes I make to my website, I could simply put the
> following code on the News section of my WelcomePage.
>
> <journal-entries num="4" from="CategoryWebpage">
>
> I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Very good proposal, I think.  One advantage of it, which you do not
mention, is that it provides permanent links to the articles when it
is created, not when it is archived as now.  This is important when
your journal is cited from external Blogs/Web pages.

In addition, I'd like to have a chronological index of all entries
regardless of their categories.  But maybe I am just too used to other
Blog systems.
--
Yamagata Yoriyuki