Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: annotations from files: line and column num

From: Paul Lussier
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: annotations from files: line and column numbers
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:57:49 -0500

Sacha Chua <address@hidden> writes:

> Chris Parsons <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> This is very useful - any chance of it being made standard?
>
> I'm not sure if I can coopt the standard file:// URL (some people
> might have # in their filenames, the weirdos ;) ). Any suggestions for
> neatly making this a standard, or should we just file this away in a
> contrib section?

Why not just use some character unlikely to be in a filename, like '%' or '^' ?
I like '^' because it's "point"y :)

You could also do other wierd things like like <filename>@@@<point> or
something like that (one @ is likely to be in filename, I've even seen
2, but never 3).  Basically, and non-alphanumeric char, repeated twice
or more should work for most cases.  And of course, this can be a
customizable variable, right ? :)

--
Thanks,
Paul