Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Help with my elisp

From: Mark Triggs
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Help with my elisp
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:32:38 +1000

Chris Lowis <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello group,
>
> I wrote a little elisp function (almost my first!) to replace a selected
> name in my planner page with the appropriate bbdb:// link. It works, but
> I am sure it is a terrible elisp style. Any suggestions on how to
> improve it ? I hope to learn some good elisp style from you !

Just to throw my two cents in, I'd probably write it something like:

  (defun planner-create-bbdb-link (beg end)
    (interactive "r")
    (save-excursion
      (let ((name (delete-and-extract-region beg end)))
        (goto-char beg)
        (insert (format "[[bbdb://%s][%s]]"
                        (replace-regexp-in-string " " ".*" name)
                        name)))))

which is pretty much the same as yours, except that I'm storing the
contents of the region in a variable instead of the kill ring, and I'm
using the "r" argument of `interactive' to indicate that this function
operates on regions, rather than dealing with (point) and (mark)
explicitly.

Cheers,

Mark

--