emacsconf-discuss

Re: conference meta-information

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: conference meta-information
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 11:12:54 -0500

Hi Kevin,

Kevin Buchs writes:

> Something I have been looking around the conference website for: the list
> of free software used for the conference infrastructure & streaming setup.

Both Leo and Paul's replies are correct, if only somewhat incomplete.

I very much plan on writing a more detailed post about our setup in the
near future.  But in the meantime, briefly, our streaming setup consists
of Icecast (a free software stream server) and OBS (a free software
streaming client that can capture your desktop and stream it).  During
the event, one of two kinds of things will be streamed: desktop capture
of a video call with a speaker who is presenting live, or simply desktop
capture of a media player playing back a prerecorded video.  For the
video calls with live speakers, we used Jitsi Meet last year and will be
using BigBlueButton this year, both of which are free software web-based
video calling and conferencing applications.

Hope this helps.  I'll be sure to announce on this list when I publish
the detailed writeup about our infra & streaming setup.