emacsconf-org

Re: [DRAFT] EmacsConf 2020 Call for Proposals

From: emacsconf
Subject: Re: [DRAFT] EmacsConf 2020 Call for Proposals
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 21:19:42 +0200

Hi Amin,

Thank you very much for writing the draft for the CfP!

Here are some thoughts that crossed my mind:

Amin Bandali (bandali@gnu.org) wrote:

> 1 Important dates
> =================
>
>    CFP opens              August 17, 2020
>    CFP closes             September 30, 2020
>    Speaker notifications  October 24, 2020
>    Schedule published     November 7, 2020
>    EmacsConf 2020!        November 28 and 29, 2020

Is there a reason why CfP closing and Speaker notifications are one
month apart?

If not, as a potential speaker I'd prefer more than one month for
preparing the talk.

Without knowing your experience from the previous EmacsConf events,
I'd say that one week of potential CfP extension and one week for
acceptance and notification should be sufficient. At least I'd say
that we can manage the acceptance with one or two online meetings.

> 2 Talk formats
> ==============
>
>   The following are the main formats for EmacsConf 2020 talks:
>
>   - *10 minutes* (Lightning talk): Quickly present a cool project,
>     concept, or trick in 10 minutes or less!
>
>   - *20 minutes* (Standard talk): Introduce the audience to a new Emacs
>     mode, concept, or just talk about something not necessarily shiny
>     and new but that you find really neat nonetheless.
>
>   - *50 minutes* (Extended talk): Take your time going more in depth,
>     and/or do a demo!  Extended talks are a great way of really
>     educating the audience about something you enjoy.

Did the orga team already discuss the topic of pre-recorded talks?

Since there were some technical difficulties last year, from the
view point of the organizers, it would be cool to have at least 50
percent pre-recorded talks that can be used when live-talks get
issues.

If the 50 percent margin is reached, pre-recorded talks can be used
between live-talks in any case which gives us more time for speaker
set-up.

> 4 Submission

Is there a policy on orga team members and talk submissions?

--
Karl Voit