emacsconf-org

Re: Pad template (was: Volunteering as a pad scribe)

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: Re: Pad template (was: Volunteering as a pad scribe)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 19:55:53 -0400

Hello, Karl!

On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 9:14 AM Karl Voit <EmacsConf@karl-voit.at> wrote:

Yes, I already saw your notes and improvements related to the pad.
You're making a huge step forward in the maturity level of
organizing the event in general.

The kiddo is mostly getting along with virtual school, so I actually have some focused time this year! =)

I'd say that per-talk pads are a win as long as the attendees are
able to find those pads as easy as possible. In any case, jumping
from one pad to another will result in more "lost" contributors
compared to one large pad. But I understand the goals.

Yeah, that's a little tricky. If we go ahead with self-hosting Etherpad (which is mostly ready now, just need bandali to set up the DNS), we can try some of the plugins to support linking to anchors so that the speakers can jump straight to the section for their talk. Then I can prototype having one long pad (or one pad per day, or one per track?) to see if that works out any better.

Because we have two tracks, people will probably still need to jump around a little bit to find the talks they're interested in. The schedule list on the new watch pages (ex: https://emacsconf.org/2022/watch/gen) will have links to the pads once we get pad.emacsconf.org up and running. It would be extra-nice to have some _javascript_ dynamically update the page with the link to the previous, current, and next talk's pads or something like that.

breadcrumb navigation to the pads:
EmacsConf 22 (with links to all pads) -> <this talk>    (or similar)
Just like you added the next talk, which is a good thing.

I added another draft at https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/emacsconf-2022-school  with a link to all the talks at the top, and with the track-specific watching page. That way we can compare it with your edits at https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/emacsconf-2022-journalism

In general, I'd question the numbers for questions/answers. From my
point of view, they add no real benefit but are an issue when

Removed. On reflection, we don't want the host or speaker just referring to "question number 1" anyway. =)

Maybe there should be a general section between the intro section
(until license) and the Q&A for the speakers and notes that are not
a question? I've added a draft.

Good idea. I added a nudge to include links, too. The abstracts for a few of the talks are rather long, so I'll skip them since they're on the talk page.

"Next talks" I'd switch the order of URL and title. I guess you
auto-generate the initial pad content, so that generic changes aren't
causing much manual effort.

Yup! This is precisely why it's great having your feedback at this stage. It's easy to tweak the function that generates things, and if we self-host, I can even use the API to bulk-update stuff.

Sacha