[emms-help] MusicPD player, EMMS, and a customization option

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emms-help] MusicPD player, EMMS, and a customization option
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 04:27:37 -0500

After playing around with EMMS and several different players for it,
I've found that MusicPD Client (http://musicpd.org) is a good fit.
One of the greatest benefits for me is being able to configure
crossfading with "mpc crossfade <duration in seconds>".  It's also far
less skip-prone than the other backend (mplayer) that I tried.  Not to
mention, easy to code an interface around ;^) .

I've enclosed an interface of sorts for EMMS and MusicPD, called
emms-mpc.el.  I haven't had time to figure out how to make all of the
facilities insinuate themselves into EMMS, but it's a start.  Feel
free to make use of this upstream, if you want.

Also, could someone please change the defcustom for emms-player-list
to:

(defcustom emms-player-list nil
  "*List of players that EMMS can use.  You need to set this!"
  :group 'emms
  :type '(repeat (sexp :tag "Player")))

If :type is 'function, an error will be thrown when using the
Customize interface to save changes to this option, since no function
definition (i.e. emms-player-mplayer) is provided for any of the
players.

Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: anime, Debian, XHTML, wiki, Emacs Lisp
  /` |\ | | | IRC: mwolson on freenode.net: #hcoop, #muse, #pulug
 |_] | \| |_| Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net