[emms-help] Re: some notes on EMMS

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: [emms-help] Re: some notes on EMMS
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 10:02:00 +0200

William Xu <address@hidden> writes:

Hi William,

>    I think the playlist buffer is hidden by default because it
>    shouldn't interfer with your work.
>
> There are already many similar buffers, like *Messages*, *Shell
> Command Output*, etc. But I've hardly seen a second buffer named by
> staring a space.

Yeah, right. It seems only logging, debugging and buffers with nothing
interesting for users start with a space. So maybe we should change
that.

>    Are you crazy?!? F3 is `kmacro-start-macro-or-insert-counter', one
>    of the most useful keys ever! ;-)
>
> Hmm, Does it diff much from C-x (, C-x ) and C-x e ?

It's a combination of the first two. In Emacs 22 you start and end a
macro with F3.

>    But I like the idea of emms being a shorthand for e-p-m-g, but
>    because that's probably the first function a new user will try out,
>    it would be good if it opened the playlist buffer plus a message
>    buffer where the functions and keys to add tracks into it are
>    listed. If there's an non-empty playlist buffer that can be omitted
>    of course.
>
> Yes, i thought of that too. Maybe we can make `emms' a combination of
> `emms-add-file'(when playlist is empty) and `emms-playlist-mode-go'
> (when playlist is not empty). Thus, for an emms newbie, he can simply
> call `emms'.

Yes, that's fine for me, too. But I'd let him select a file or a
directory and then use the appropriate function.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
When  I released GNU  Emacs and  people started  using it,  they started
sending me improvements in the mail. So I would get a message with a bug