[emms-help] Read most (all) tags with a single script

From: Lucas Bonnet
Subject: [emms-help] Read most (all) tags with a single script
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 18:14:35 +0100

Hello,

  I was trying to improve my classical music experience in EMMS by using
"composer" and "performer" tags when I found out that Taglib didn't
support any of those tags. I ended up implementing a tag reader that can
read most tags for most file formats, using the already in place taglib
support: emms-print-metadata.pl. I just pushed it to git HEAD.

Documentation is lacking at the moment, but a quick start would look
like:

  (require 'emms-info-libtag)
  (setq emms-info-functions '(emms-info-libtag))
  (setq emms-info-libtag-program-name "emms-print-metadata.pl")

Do not forget to install Audio::Scan (aptitude install libaudio-scan-perl
shoud be enough on Debian and variants).

The Perl tag reader is significantly slower that the C TagLib
implementation: my whole collection takes 50s to be scanned by the
binary, and 3m48s with the Perl script (20k files, FLAC and MP3, with
hot cache).

Coming next:
 - some documentation :)
 - support for more audio formats (only MP3, OGG and FLAC for now)
 - how to display composer, performer or whatever you want in the browser

Regards,
--
Lucas Bonnet