Re: [emms-help] Two new EMMS functions

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Two new EMMS functions
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 15:18:37 -0400

Ian Dunn <address@hidden> writes:

>     I've created two interactive functions for EMMS that I think other
> people may find useful.  Both of them are included in this email at
> the bottom, as well as a helper function for one of them.
>
>     The first is 'emms-add-file-from-cache', which, as it sounds, adds a file
> from the EMMS cache database to the
> current EMMS playlist.  The second is a function to interactively
> select and play one of the tracks in the current EMMS playlist.
>
>     Both of these functions use 'when-let' from subr-x, so I don't
> know if that creates a compatibility issue.  If it does, I'd be happy
> to quickly fix them.
>
>     I hope other people will find these as useful as I do.

I like the idea behind `emms-select-playlist-track'. But I can see
renaming it to something like `emms-play-playlist-track' because it
actually plays the track.

However, I would change it so it doesn't create yet another copy of the
playlist as a hash-table which now needs to be kept synchronized. The
playlist-mode buffer is already a data structure and it's unclear how
long the playlist would need to be in this case in order to be slower
than a hash-table.

I don't know why `when-let' or `subr-x' would be an issue. As long as
they are available on all recent versions of Emacs I don't see a
problem.