Re: [emms-help] play audio only when playing media

From: Alex Vong
Subject: Re: [emms-help] play audio only when playing media
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 10:03:05 +0800

Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:

> Alex Vong <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi emms,
>>
>> I want to ask is there a way to play audio only when playing a video
>> file, like a mkv file? So far I have tried 2 method, and both failed:
>>
>> Method 1:
>>   (setq-default emms-player-vlc-parameters (cons "--no-video"
>>                                                  emms-player-vlc-parameters))
>> Problem:
>>   I cannot play video anymore. What I want is I can disable video at
>>   will.
>
> How about let-binding emms-player-vlc-parameters to include "--no-video"
> in your music-player... function? That would leave other instances with
> the default valie.

You are right! I messed up my Method 2, the correct code should be:
  (defun music-play-directory (dir)
    (interactive
     (let ((promt "Play directory: ")
           (mustmatch t))
       (list (emms-read-directory-name promt
                                       emms-source-file-default-directory
                                       emms-source-file-default-directory
                                       mustmatch))))
    (let ((emms-player-vlc-parameters (cons "--no-video"
                                            emms-player-vlc-parameters)))
      (emms-play-directory dir)))

which has the problem that it only works for the 1st video being played
but not for the rest of the video in the directory.