Re: [emms-help] 4.2 release tasks: emms-print-metadata install

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [emms-help] 4.2 release tasks: emms-print-metadata install
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 16:31:59 -0500

Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:

> Yoni Rabkin (2016-11-27 17:12 -0500) wrote:
>
>> Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I see that you didn't add 'emms-print-metadata' to 'all' target in
>>> commit cbbe098¹, so "make" still doesn't build it.  Was it intentional?
>>
>> Yes. At this point we still want to keep the make phase to be about
>> elisp. This should be resolved when we decide how to do the compilation
>> in way compatible with remotely installable elisp packages.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand; do you mean installation from ELPA?  But it
> doesn't care about Makefile at all, so I don't see what problem can be
> caused by adding 'emms-print-metadata' to 'all' target.

I don't know what the right solution is right now. I'll have to ask the
emacs-devel people. I don't know of an existing solution that makes
sense to me. A pdftools-like solution seems too inelegant. And
installing a binary on the user's system by default doesn't sound right
to me when they are compiling and installing an elisp package; it isn't
expected behavior.

Perhaps a message can appear at the end of elisp compilation telling
users that they can also invoke make emms-metadata and install that, as
well as pointing people to the friendly manual.

But then I'm not even a fan, nor user, of ELPA... so perhaps it isn't
surprising that I'm dithering on the subject.

>>> Also you use:
>>>
>>>   install -m 755 $(SRCDIR)/emms-print-metadata
>>> $(BINDIR)/emms-print-metadata;
>>>
>>> This will fail if BINDIR does not exist (this is the case for such
>>> systems as GuixSD or NixOS).  Could you please also add "-D" flag to
>>> "install" command?
>>
>> Do you have access to those systems? Can you do a test to see that it
>> would work as intended and send a patch?
>
> Yes, I can confirm (I use GuixSD and I am one of the Guix contributors),
> but after all it's not a big thing.  It's one of the several (small)
> issues with the EMMS Makefile that we make workarounds for in our emms
> package: the same problem happens with "man" directory (Makefile also
> assumes it exists), also info manual is put in "$(PREFIX)/info" instead
> of "$(PREFIX)/share/info".
>
> To recap, it is fixed on the Guix side, so you may ignore this message :-)
>
> If you (or someone who is reading) are interested: GNU Guix¹ is a
> package manager and GuixSD is a system thereof.  It uses Guile
> programming language, so people who like sexps may like it too :-)
>
> And here is how EMMS package is defined (it is quite complex though
> comparing with most packages):
>
> <http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/emacs.scm#n897>
>
> ¹ https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

I am definitely interested in Guix. Installing it on some machine is on
my todo list.