Re: [emms-help] Emms lyrics bug

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Emms lyrics bug
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 11:48:12 +0100

Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> A handful of compilation bugs are left. Among them:
>
> In emms-lyrics-visit-lyric:
> emms-lyrics.el:240:53:Warning: reference to free variable ‘filename’
> emms-lyrics.el:248:47:Warning: reference to free variable
>     ‘eww-after-render-hook’
>
> These seem to trace back to Rasmus' commit
> 6bc53c76eadaee1ba37d6301c28ac987d77c0124 from 2015.
>
> Rasmus, can you please fix that issue by either re-binding filename to
> the right value in that `let' or doing away with it altogether?

I don't understand why it's unhappy about filename.

In any case, I cannot really test it at the moment as EMMS is not
compatible with the master branch of Emacs.  It seems EMMS uses
default-major-mode, which is not part of Emacs anymore:

    *** All the default-FOO variables that hold the default value of the
    FOO variable.  Use 'default-value' and 'setq-default' to access and
    change FOO, respectively.  The exhaustive list of removed variables is:
    'default-mode-line-format', 'default-header-line-format',
    'default-line-spacing', 'default-abbrev-mode', 'default-ctl-arrow',
    'default-truncate-lines', 'default-left-margin', 'default-tab-width',
    'default-case-fold-search', 'default-left-margin-width',
    'default-right-margin-width', 'default-left-fringe-width',
    'default-right-fringe-width', 'default-fringes-outside-margins',
    'default-scroll-bar-width', 'default-vertical-scroll-bar',
    'default-indicate-empty-lines', 'default-indicate-buffer-boundaries',
    'default-fringe-indicator-alist', 'default-fringe-cursor-alist',
    'default-scroll-up-aggressively', 'default-scroll-down-aggressively',
    'default-fill-column', 'default-cursor-type',
    'default-cursor-in-non-selected-windows',
    'default-buffer-file-coding-system', 'default-major-mode', and
    'default-enable-multibyte-characters'.

Eww is part of newer versions of Emacs.  Perhaps we can make the hook
conditional on (featurep ’eww).  I don’t know if this would silence the
byte-compiler (I can’t test cf. above.)

Perhaps it’s best to revert the patch for now.  It was an attempt to make
emms-lyrics work to some extend (as it was completely broken), but it
might not be worth it.

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
Together we'll stand, divided we'll fall