Re: [emms-help] Multiple sound cards / volume change

From: Petteri Hintsanen
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Multiple sound cards / volume change
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 22:56:49 +0200

Bob Newell <address@hidden> writes:

> When I got an Asus laptop I ran into trouble with volume changes from
> the keyboard. To make a long story short it seems emms-volume-amixer.el
> assumes the card for Master volume is 0. But it turned out to be 1 on
> this laptop. At least, the call-process to "amixer" doesn't include the
> "-c" option which will default the card to 0.

It sounds somewhat peculiar to me that you have to configure a separate
card for amixer but not for the player.  Which EMMS player are you
using?  Do you have PulseAudio or some other sound server running?

(I don't object using the -c parameter with amixer: if it works for you
then it's fine, of course.  But I would like to understand what is
causing the issue.)

thanks,
Petteri