Re: [emms-help] mpv player alternative with json-ipc

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: [emms-help] mpv player alternative with json-ipc
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2018 00:21:29 +0500

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 00:00:14 +0500
Mike Kazantsev <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 21:53:47 +0530
> Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > It turned out that there were many rough edges that needed polishing
> > before merging.  So instead we opted for dochang's simpler version for
> > now and we will adopt IPC features incrementally.

> Dunno about rough edges you've mentioned though ...

Skimming though ML archives, noticed (mostly-missing) conversation
about json-ipc which seem to mention mpv version issues wrt support for
that feature, which I haven't considered at all as it's the first time
I've used this API (more familiar with controlling mpv from lua),
and kinda-assumed it was there long enough, given how simple and
inadequate --input-file= is comparatively.

In which case guess maybe it makes even more sense to leave simple
implmenetation in for compatibility + simplicity reasons for a while,
as improvements that json-ipc provides don't seem to be huge.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net