Re: [emms-help] More mpv player code review

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: [emms-help] More mpv player code review
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2018 22:20:13 +0500

On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 16:21:39 +0200
Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mike Kazantsev <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Do you know if maybe there is some generic way to create fifo and pipe
> > process for it on arbitrary systems, by the way?
> >
> > Given that subprocess is started for this already, wonder if maybe
> > there can be some "fake fifo pipe" process on e.g. windows or a general
> > routine for other platforms which maybe don't have "cat" or fifos.
>
> I'm not sure of the exact requirements here, but what about
> `make-proces' and `make-pipe-process'?

That'd be how you'd probably interact with such thing, but what'd you
run on e.g. windows instead of mkfifo + cat (neither of which is I think
available on these) to get same effect?
I.e. something like `shell-quote-argument' that does fifos in
cross-platform way instead of quoting.

Though now that I think about it, not sure if mpv even supports
--input-file on windows (as it has no fifos), so maybe there's no point
looking for universal solution to this particular concept.

Besides, --input-ipc-server should work over tcp sockets there with
newer mpv binaries, and --input-file isn't really the only option.

So probably not worth looking deeper into this anyway, sorry for
rambling :)

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net