Re: [emms-help] [Yoni Rabkin] Re: Patch: emms-playlist-tracks-in-region

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [emms-help] [Yoni Rabkin] Re: Patch: emms-playlist-tracks-in-region
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 16:00:00 -0400

Fran Burstall <address@hidden> writes:

> Here I was replicating the previous behaviour.
>
> Thinking about it: if I don't kill the buffer and I later run the
> same limiting action, I will want to at least clear the derived
> buffer so as not to present stale results.  So maybe better to just
> kill it and document it in the doc-string.  Either way, I agree that
> the current doc-string does not capture what the function does.
>
> What do you think?  Kill the derived buffer or not?

It wouldn't really present stale results since each call to
`emms-playlist-new' creates a unique, numbered buffer.

(emms-playlist-new "foo") => #<buffer foo>
(emms-playlist-new "foo") => #<buffer foo<2>>

The question is therefore if two calls from the same buffer, using the
same limit, should overwrite the derived buffer, or simply create a new
one.

I don't have a strong opinion about that (If someone else has an opinion
they can certainly chime in). Buffers are cheap, but you also may not
want to spam buffers. Feel free to make that as you see fit.