Re: Why EMMS is not in GNU ELPA?

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: Why EMMS is not in GNU ELPA?
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 16:30:25 -0400

Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro <address@hidden> writes:

> Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Why do you say that you “don't understand the point of it”?
>> ...because I don't (I'm usure of what you are asking here though.)
>
> Sorry, if I was not clear enough.  I was wondering if you have a
> rationale backing up your stance that releasing packages on GNU ELPA
> does not make sense.
>
> I mean, do you see a point in releasing it on MELPA, or any other ELPA
> for that matter?  If not, why not?  Or that’s specific to GNU ELPA?  If
> that’s so, why so?

Ah, I understand the confusion now. Thank you for clearing that up.

My personal opinion is that ELPA, MELPA, (and tomorrow probably XELPA,
FELPA, NELPA, GELPA, etc.) are all like M-x customize: ugly, baroque
monsters that take up a huge amount of effort and complexity to do a
very simple task... poorly.

(Indeed, this is a disease that the entire free software world suffers
from: rpm, entropy, flatpak, pacman, deb, apt, slackpkg, yum, dnf, abs,
snappy, 0install, portage, etc. and etc. and so on and so forth. The
100th time you reinvent the wheel you need to start questioning why the
previous 99 times didn't work...)

What is important in the above statement is not if I have a point or if
I'm right about software packaging and distribution, but that as a
result of my preference I remain largely ignorant of how those systems
work, which puts me at a disadvantage when we need to add Emms to those
systems.

This is why I asked that people who are familiar with ELPA and the such,
and are fans of that kind of thing, to research how to add Emms to them
correctly.