Re: looking forward to Emms 6.0

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: looking forward to Emms 6.0
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 15:28:03 -0400

"Fran Burstall (Gmail)" <address@hidden> writes:

> I have just pushed emms-info-tinytag.el onto the master branch.

That was fast!

> As discussed previously, this is a emms-info method that works out of
> the box using the python module tinytag.
>
> Good points:
>
> * it works!  (At least for me)
>
> Less good points:
>
> * It is slow, compared to emms-info-libtag.  The emms-info-tinytag
> takes about 16 mins to build the cache of my 13,000 mp3s with a few
> flac, ogg and m4a thrown in while emms-info-libtag takes about 9
> minutes.

It is indeed slower, but not terribly so.

> * It is less featureful: tinytag cannot handle dates beyond years (no
> exact release dates) and does not support original[year,date] or the
> performer tag or sort-order tags.

I didn't have any significant issues here.

> While looking into other possibilities, I came across another, perhaps
> surprising, candidate which looks like it might make a good
> alternative: exiftool, a perl script aimed at tagging photos, has a
> surprising good tag reader for audio in almost as many formats as
> taglib or tinytag.  Certainly it has performer and sort-order tags and
> can handle full dates..  If there is interest, I will look into making
> an info source based on that.

I just checked exiftool and it returned good information for flac, ogg
and mps. What a brilliant and unexpected find. Thank you for unearthing
this.

We should absolutely add an info source for exiftool. But don't feel
that you have shoulder that as well. If you feel like doing it, go
ahead, but otherwise I'll pick that up.

> In any case, please experiment with emms-info-tinytag.el.

I edited the copyright header on it, but otherwise it's a keeper. I'll
document it in the manual.

> It works for me but I am a mathematician not a programmer!

I consider programming to be calcified math anyway.