Moving all files to top-level for 6.0

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Moving all files to top-level for 6.0
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 15:54:06 -0400

Hello all,

As stated earlier this month, adding Emms to GNU ELPA is a goal for the
big 6.0 release.

Things are moving forward with the kind help of the Emacs developers,
but it is now obvious that keeping all of Emms' files in the lisp/
directory is an impediment. There are a number of technical requirements
of both GNU ELPA (which works a bit differently from melpa) and
package.el that combine to make this the case.

As a consequence, I want to move all of Emms' files from lisp/ to the
top level. This is less tidy than I ideally wish, yet doesn't seem like
a ruinous compromise.

Does anyone have a reason why we should _not_ move all of the lisp/*.el
files to the top level? If so, why not?

I'm going to leave this question open until Wednesday the 3rd of June.

Thanks and have a great weekend.