Re: Can not play music with emms

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: Can not play music with emms
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 17:05:45 +0500

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 10:28:02 +0200
Stanislav Vlasov <s.vlasov@uvt.nl> wrote:

> I would really love to listen music without leaving EMACS but I can not
> figure out why EMMS does not play it.
>
> I am on Emacs 26.3 with EMMS 5.4 (Operating System: Manjaro Linux, Kernel:
> Linux 5.6.15-1-MANJARO)
>
> My config:
>   (use-package emms
>     :config
>     (emms-all)
>     (emms-default-players)
>     (setq emms-player-mpv-debug t))
>
> Here are *Messages*:
> emms-player-mpv 1285.6 json >>
> {"command":["loadlist","/path/to/music/song1.mp3","replace"],"request_id":1}
> emms-player-mpv 1285.6 json << {"request_id":1,"error":"error running
> command"}
> emms-player-mpv ipc-error: error running command
> Any suggestions?

As mentioned in earlier correction-email, problem seem to be that emms
treats that mp3 file as a playlist, and mpv refuses to open it as such
(correctly).

After double-checking why track might have been with such
playlist/streamlist type, didn't find or bumped into any obvious issues
there, so most likely place seem to be one of the emms-add-playlist-*
functions.

As you didn't post that bit between module configuration and starting
playback, I'd suggest double-checking how exactly you add tracks to
playlist.

emms-add-playlist or emms-add-streamlist are wrong ones to use for
file/directory - emms-add-file, emms-add-directory,
emms-add-directory-tree should be more appropriate.
If that doesn't work - maybe post how do you add these tracks, so that
I might be able to reproduce the issue here to look into it.

Also maybe check/paste what would be the output of running:

  (emms-playlist-current-selected-track)

(can paste that into *Scratch* buffer and run via C-j, resulting track
info should be in *Messages*)

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net