Re: Recovering playback state of multiple playlists and over multiple se

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: Recovering playback state of multiple playlists and over multiple sessions
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 18:33:58 -0400

Yuchen Pei <hi@ypei.me> writes:

> Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:
>
>> Yuchen Pei <hi@ypei.me> writes:
>>
>>> I don't really save or restore emacs sessions.  This is because I
>>> have
>>> an emacsclient on all the time until an untimely death because
>>> something goes terribly wrong, and if I make it revive from that
>>> state
>>> I fear it could go into a death loop.  This is why I would rather
>>> have
>>> an emms-specific feature for this.
>>
>> We may be speaking past each other. If you don't restart emacs, why
>> do
>> you need a function to save the playlist position?
>
> As I said, things can go wrong, and emacs crashes.  Sometimes this
> happens more often than other times.  But especially after long
> sessions of emacs is it hard to recover the position from (my) memory.

This is a slightly different situation that what we've
discussed. Previously, I understood it to be merely saving playlist
positions so that they can be restored later. But now this is described
as a case of hardening Emms against an Emacs crash.

Therefore, what you are describing sounds more similar to Emacs'
auto-save feature.

What that be a good way of describing it?