Re: Making Emms better out of the box

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Re: Making Emms better out of the box
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 18:08:48 +0200

Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> Emms is not easy enough to use out of the box. It isn't terrible
> either, but it can be made better.

+1 I use EMMS every day (and LOVE it), but it took me a while to set it
all up.  My son (as a 6th-grader) wanted to try it as well, but he
quickly gave up.

> If anyone has any ideas about how we can improve Emms in this regard,
> please don't be a stranger and hop on into this thread.

Some ideas off the top of my config:

IDEA 1.

Ship with no-cover images by default, and make them work out of the box.
(The 'no cover image' link in the manual rarely works, BTW.)

IDEA 2.

Bind SPC to play/pause, like other players do:

  (keymap-set emms-browser-mode-map "SPC" #'emms-player-mpd-pause))
  (keymap-set emms-playlist-mode-map "SPC" #'emms-player-mpd-pause))

IDEA 3.

Make TAB expand/collapse items in the EMMS Browser mode, like standard
Emacs outlines do:

  (keymap-set emms-browser-mode-map
              "<tab>"
              #'emms-browser-toggle-subitems)

IDEA 4.

Highlight the current line in both the EMMS Playlist mode by default:

(add-hook 'emms-browser-mode-hook #'hl-line-mode)
(add-hook 'emms-playlist-mode-hook #'hl-line-mode)

Rudy
--
"One can begin to reason only when a clear picture has been formed in
the imagination."

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava