enigma-devel

Re: [Enigma-devel] Copyrights

From: unknown man
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Copyrights
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:48:05 +0000

Sorry to open this can of worms again...

Neither am I, and I think sooner or later we will have to ask the GNU or
the debian-legal people.  I just noticed that rocks & diamonds was
removed from debian 3.0r-2 due to license problems with content from
commercial sources.  I haven't been able to find more details so far,
but I dearly hope Enigma won't go the same road.

[Btw, I just found a few details: it seems the author of
rocks-n-diamonds simply copied some of the graphics and sounds from a
commercial Boulder Dash game, so we're definitely in a better legal
position.]

Yes, besides in real life there is no such thing as a copyright problem if the copyright owners don't press charges, and it really looks like dongleware could not care.

Not necessarily a problem, since it's always possible to explicitly
allow this sort of "linking".  It's only a matter of changing a few
lines in the COPYING file.

Yes, but afaik the linking rules can only apply to binary versions of files as copyright law does not protect against use, only distribution. This would mean that no change at all is needed. I Belive that it is safe to assume this.
> I would assume this is the case so distribution of the sokoban levels
> is straightforward. You cannot distribute the sokban levels as part of
> the enigma package as the pakage as a whole is under the gpl. However
> you can make it a second 'extention' package that is distributed under
> a different licence. You can also package the extention package in an
> installer (such as the windows installer) as long as you give the user
> the option not to install the 'extention' and make it clear that it is
> a different package and is licenced under a different licence.

In fact, that may turn out to be necessary, likewise for the Oxyd and
Esprit level packs.  But we're at a point where we need the advice of
experts...

The big problem, I belive, is the levels (and anything else) that is under a different licence being distributed with Enigms. This is *only* a problem if you assert that the ENTIRE package is distributed under the GPL. RMS prefers that GNU packages be distributed under a SINGLE licence (be it even i licence that says 'you may use the program under either the MPL or GPL. If you wish for your changes to be available under only one of these licences, please replace this message with the message specified in that licence') that allows use under a free software licence.

Groove on the latest from the hot new rock groups! Get downloads, videos, and more here. http://special.msn.com/entertainment/wiredformusic.armx