enigma-devel

[Enigma-devel] Savannah, CVS and the next release

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Savannah, CVS and the next release
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:09:24 +0100

As most of you will have notices by now, the nongnu.org server has been
compromised and is currently more or less down.  Except for the mailing
lists, anonymous CVS access and the static html pages nothing works.  I
cannot even modify the web pages to point to other download locations
:-( For the time being, the source code and the Win32 version of Enigma
are available from my personal home page.

        http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~dheck/

In the meantime I experimented a little with GNU arch, a versioning
systems similar to CVS but quite a bit more advanced.  In light of the
current Savannah outage, one of its main advantages is that it is
decentralized: The repository is on your own computer (but can be
mirrored on any ftp/http server). Nifty.  It also has much better
support for branching, renaming files etc.  I think I will use arch a
lot more in the future (along with CVS, so not much will change for most
of you).

While learning arch I actually did something useful and backported many
bugfixes and the new levels from the development branch to 0.81.  As
soon as Savannah is back, I would like to release an updated stable
release 0.82.  The development release needs still a bit of work before
we can turn it into version 0.90, but we have many new levels from Nat
and Jacob that only wait to be played.  I fear we won't make it before
Christmas, but hopefully early in the new year!

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Heck