enigma-devel

[Enigma-devel] Re: network 2-player game

From: Tacvek
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Re: network 2-player game
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:35:10 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ronald Lamprecht" <address@hidden>
To: "enigma-devel" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Tacvek" <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 4:02 PM
Subject: network 2-player game

Some experiences and thoughts about a future network 2-player game feature.

A few months ago I fiddled with enigmas event handling to get some practical experience how the game behaves on queuing and delaying events. I did that because I had 3 different approaches for a network game solution. When I did knew what basic features enigma needs to support I did postpone the direct efforts and did concentrate on the features for the next release.

But of course I will share the results if there is interest:

Tacvek wrote:
AIUI there wold not be a need for the levels to be in sync. This is because the way the server-client split was designed, only one of the the two would be running the underlying engine. The other player would be running just the client end of Enigma, which would be sending information about input to the server,
and displaying images/playing sounds when the server commands it to.
If that model is kept then it would be entirely possible to be playing levels that are part of a levelset you do not have locally.
(The other player would be the server).

Really?

That is how I understand the very early beta beta I looked at to work. I have not kept up on enigma since sometime back in the arch days so this may have changed.

Besides that, have a look at the timing: Enigma is a "physical" simulation with an event time basis of 10 ms, the actors moves are integrated on a 2.5 ms (!) basis. An internet roundtrip even on UDP basis as we do, will take something in between 200 - 1500 ms ! The demands of enigma are due to complex physical simulation dimensions higher than on other networking games.

It depends on what level of netwroking support we want.
For a lan any such delays are so small they make almost no difference. For the internet, well that is quite different.

Your expanation works in that case unless the the synchronized worlds of both clients desync, which is a possibility,
especially in the case of a lost UDP packet.
But I'm sure such a problem can be overcome, as it always has in the past.

The demanding task of the network game is not the event queueing and networking stuff but the cloneing of the world! I started with the Lua world part -- that is the reason we need to upgrade to Lua 5, because it supports serialization.

The major problem with Lua 5 was the undocumented changes to the error system. It appears to be possible to use the metatable system to re-create tags (to the extent that they are needed), but i was unable to figure out how to account for the changes in the error system.

Any comments and additional ideas?

Still There is no reason to require both players to have level files that are the same. One player should be the server (In name depite having no more real repsonsibilities than the other. this would be the person who starts listening for the UDP packets coming from the other player. (I ammume the system planned will have one person give their IP to the other person and the IP of the second person is determined by the source address of recived UDP packets.)) That "server" should be able to send the level to the other player. The engine would then use that. It would a;so be useful in the case of testing multi-player levels.

Ronald