epsilon-devel

[epsilon-devel] [task #3380] Documentation strings

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: [epsilon-devel] [task #3380] Documentation strings
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 22:47:42 -0400

This mail is an automated notification from the task tracker
 of the project: epsilon.

[task #3380] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: epsilon
Submitted by: Luca Saiu
On: Mon 08/09/2004 at 02:43

Category:  Documentation
Should Start On:  Mon 08/09/2004 at 00:00
Should be Finished on:  Mon 08/09/2004 at 00:00
Effort:  0.00

Original Submission:  As I'm writing the meta-interpreter and the REPL I see
epsilon  somewhat converging to Lisp in its interface aspects. This made me
think to a peculiarity of it which I would like to imitate.

It would be very nice to have documentation strings, as in Lisp, which could be
displayed as *part* of the online help
in the REPL, and in the index the Texinfo documentation (for example in menus
in Info).

When used in Emacs we could also have something like C-h f which jumps to the
correct paragraph of the Info documentation (crosslink to paragraphs is now
implemented in the latest version of Texinfo, se we can use it); C-h f should
jump to the *complete* documentation for the function/object/type/exception,
and not just the documentation string.

It is also very good for encouraging good programming syle to make a practice
of documenting *every* function/object/type/exception, at least with
documentation strings. The compiler could even give a warning (which could be
disabled with a command-line option) when it doesn't find it.

Aboute the "complete", non-documentation-string documentation: we could
automatically extract documentation for the library (and *only* for it) from
apposite comments in the code, automatically generating the Texinfo code which
will be included in the manual.

We should take some good ideas from JavaDoc and Doxygen; of course we are going
to generate only Texinfo, and use it to make HTML if needed.

In JavaDoc there's a separate "index" part of very short introductive
descriptions, and a more complete part which describes every detail. This is
just like what I want.

I like this idea very much, and it's also easy to implement.

For detailed info, follow this link:
<http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=3380>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/