epsilon-devel

[Jitter online tutorial 2021-03-25 9pm CET] Reminder and outline

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: [Jitter online tutorial 2021-03-25 9pm CET] Reminder and outline
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 17:01:31 +0100

Hello.

I wish to confirm the forthcoming Jitter tutorial over jitsi at
  https://meet.jit.si/jitter
on Thursday March 25th, 9pm CET; everyone is invited.

Even without a very carefully prepared talk I can present here a
tentative outline:

* a high-level language using a Jittery VM: the “Structured” example
  - register VM code
  - stack VM code
  - performance: hardware registers, branches
  (with a look at the sources, how to define and use a VM, a comparison
   of alternative solutions, rewrite rules, disassemblies)

* some advanced features in VM code
  - VM instruction rewrite rules
  - signal handling and safe points
  - overflow handling
  (this part will mostly follow the Uninspired VM example; it will
   feature VM code hand-written on the spot, instead of a compiler)

* a realistic Jittery system: JitterLisp
  - 10000-lines example: an interactive Lisp system with its own manual
  - tagged operations
  - fast type checking
  - my suggestions for writing a compiler
  - interaction between interpreted and compiled code
  (here more than elsewhere I can zoom in on some subsystem according
   to your feedback; there will also be occasion of speaking of what
   is still missing in Jitter)

This tutorial will follow a different presentation order compared to my
GHM 2017 talk; it will start from the point of view of the VM user and
say little about how the system is implemented, at least at the
beginning.  It will focus on the *most* efficient solution first and
foremost, and cover simpler interpreter-style alternatives only as
justified by portability.

Please let me know what you think.

Regards,

--
Luca Saiu
* My personal web site:  http://ageinghacker.net

I support everyone's freedom of mocking any opinion or belief, no
matter how deeply held, with open disrespect and the same unrelented
enthusiasm of a toddler who has just learned the word "poo".