erp5-zsql

[Erp5-zsql] Re: ZSQLCatalog review for ZopeMag

From: Jean-Paul Smets
Subject: [Erp5-zsql] Re: ZSQLCatalog review for ZopeMag
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:58:36 -0000

Le Vendredi 19 Décembre 2003 01:41, Samuel Sotillo a écrit :
> Hi Jean-paul
>
> My name is Samuel Sotillo and I am working on a new product review about
> ZSQLCatalog for ZopeMag (http://www.zopemag.com/). However, I have had
> some problems using the stand-alone version of your product. It seems
> that there are some consistency problems with the code available online.
> I have tried to overcome some of them but I do not have too much time
> for doing that. I would really appreciate if you can make available
> (asap) to me any other less troublesome version of your product.
>
> We are very interested in reviewing all components of ERP5 and
> ZSQLCatalog is one of the most original and interesting.
>
> Thanks in advance and please respond asap,

Dear Sir,

I am forwarding this email to some of the people involved in ERP5.  We would
be very happy to contribute in making ZSQLCatalog easier to use. What you
are saying is quite right.

From a production point of view, we are using ZSQLCatalog on a ZODB of
1,000,000+ objects and get extremely fast response for complex queries.
This means that the technology is quite mature and well proven now.

Moreover, with CMFActivity, we have implemented deferred and distributed
reindexing which greatly enhances Zope / CMF performance. We can for
example use each node in a ZEO cluster to reindex in parallel a complete
ZODB of 3GB in a few hours.

I expect to work between 12/25 and 1/1 to improve the problem of
installation and consistency. However, it is not as simple as it seems.
Basically, our RPMS work out of the box
(http://nexedi.org/static/Mandrake/9.2/RPMS/ZSQLCatalog-0.2.1-6mdk.i586.rpm)
but needs to be configured the right way. The only difficult part is the
configuration step. It is not documented

How can we move forward on this ? Would you like us to write some short
tutorial which could be published both on zopemag.com and erp5.org ?

Also, would you be interested in us to write a follow up which describes
issue after issue the technical details of how we developped and
implemented ERP5 in a real world situation ?

Regards,

JPS.

PS. BTW, I suggest you have a look at our patched Formulator
(http://nexedi.org/static/Mandrake/9.2/RPMS/Formulator-1.4.2-1mdk.noarch.rpm
http://nexedi.org/static/Mandrake/9.2/RPMS/Formulator-1.4.2-1mdk.src.rpm).
We contributed a major security extension which allows each field to
include its own view/modify security definition with guards. This has been
posted to Formulator list already.

--
Jean-Paul Smets-Solanes
Nexedi CEO    Tel. +33(0)6 62 05 76 14    Fax. +33(0)1 53 01 09 29

About www.nexedi.com

Nexedi is a consulting and development services company helping small and
medium organisations to choose open source / free software and fulfill
their IT application needs. Nexedi is the founder of the ERP5 project, a
Free / Open Source ERP software based on innovative technologies
(www.erp5.org).

About www.storever.com

Storever provides a reliable source for OpenBrick, WiFi infrastructure,
notebooks and servers preconfigured with the GNU/Linux operating system