esp-action-alert

[Esp-action-alert] ACTA leak as text: mixing patents up with internation

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: [Esp-action-alert] ACTA leak as text: mixing patents up with international organised crime
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:50:27 +0000

http://en.swpat.org/wiki/201001_acta.pdf_as_text

Dear ESP supporters,

The ACTA treaty is being secretly negotiated by certain countries (see end).
Luckily, a document has been leaked containing the January 18th 2010 draft
text for the treaty. ...but the news is not good.

The treaty will not touch whether software is patentable or not, but it is
of concern to End Software Patents because it will give all patent holders a
range of new powers (even bypassing the courts), will expand liability, and
will increase the legal risks of developing products in patentable fields.

Detailed analyses will appear in the coming days -I hope to write one for
news.swpat.org myself- but for now I'm writing to point you to the leak
text.  The leak itself is a PDF of scanned faxes, so I've been typing it up
as text for easier linking, searching, reading, and quoting:

http://en.swpat.org/wiki/201001_acta.pdf_as_text

The governments involved: United States, the European Union, Australia,
Canada, Japan, Jordan, South Korea, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore,
Switzerland, and the United Arab Emirates.

--
Ciaran O'Riordan
Executive Director, End Software Patents

http://endsoftwarepatents.org/
http://en.swpat.org/
http://news.swpat.org/