espressomd-devel

[ESPResSo-devel] Particle property q

From: Kai Grass
Subject: [ESPResSo-devel] Particle property q
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 21:37:57 -0400

Hi another time, (no, it is not 3:30 at night, don't worry)

while extending the description for the "part" command in the user guide, I noticed, that Espresso doesn't complain if the charge q is set, even though ELECTROSTATICS is not compiled in. The command issued is simply silently surpressed in set_particle_q() [communication.c]. Similarly, polymer, salt and counterions allow to specify q in those cases. While this shouldn't lead to any problems since Coulomb interactions cannot be setup without ELECTROSTATICS, it still feels inconsistent to me. At least a warning should be issued in these cases.

Greetings,
Kai
--
Dipl. Phys. Kai Grass
(current coordinates)

phone: +1 613 562 5800 x6937
fax:   +1 613 562 5190
--
Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies (FIAS)
Max-von-Laue-Strasse 1

phone: +49 69 798 47533
fax:   +49 69 798 47611