espressomd-devel

Re: [ESPResSo-devel] Somewhat strange trajectory

From: Stefan Kesselheim
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-devel] Somewhat strange trajectory
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 13:25:00 +0200

Dear Peter,
there is one question I have:
Do you observe a diffusive (a) or a directed (b) motion along 1,1,1? From the
trajectory it looks like a directed motion but that would lead to a quadratic
MSD. To quantify (a), it should be possible to derive a drift velocity, and for
(b) you could calculated the off-diagonal elements of the diffusion tensor for
<(x(t)-x(t+tau))(y(t)-y(t+tau))>. This would mean implementing the correlation
operation "dyadic_product" which I want to do now for some time :-).
Regarding the reason: Variant a would be related to a correlation of subsequent
numbers, and Variant b would be a nonzero mean. In principle, both should be
easy to distinguish and in both cases, the same should apply for a single
isolated particle. Maybe this would be an even easier test case. Use cellsystem
nsquare.
Maybe that helps….
Cheers
Stefan