[ESPResSo] Trouble in Installing Espresso

From: Lorenzo Isella
Subject: [ESPResSo] Trouble in Installing Espresso
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:32:08 +0100

Dear All,
I am trying to install Espresso on my new desktop (a dual-processor
machine running Debian testing) but I am experiencing some problems.
I am confused since the same installation went without troubles on my
laptop (which runs Debian testing as well).
Fundamentally, the installation breaks down since the configuration
script is unable to "see" the tcl library.
I refer to version 2.0.5.e (but the same would apply to 2.0.2)

Here is the the output of my attempt to configure espresso (but things
go wrong when the script checks for headers and libraries):

$ /home/iselllo/internet_downloads/espresso-2.0.5e/configure
Testing whether we are in the source directory...no
Running configure-ac...
checking build system type... Xeon_64-pc-linux
checking host system type... Xeon_64-pc-linux
checking target system type... Xeon_64-pc-linux
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
*                   Check the compiler and MPI                 *
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed
checking dependency style of gcc... (cached) gcc3
checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
checking for mpcc... no
checking for mpxlc... no
checking for mpicc... no
checking for mpicci... no
checking for mpiccg... no
checking for hcc... no
checking for cc... cc
checking whether the cc command works out of the box for MPI... no
configure-ac: trying to find a LAM environment
checking whether the cc command works without additional flags... no
configure-ac: did not find lam.h, if you want to use LAM, please
specify its location via CPPFLAGS
configure-ac: did not find lam library, if you want to use LAM, please
specify its location and name via LDFLAGS
checking for mpirun... mpirun
configure-ac: mpirun binary for LAM not found, if you want to use LAM,
please add it to your PATH
configure-ac: trying to find a MPICH environment
checking whether the cc command works without flags... no
configure-ac: did not find mpi.h, please specify its location via CPPFLAGS
configure-ac: did not find mpich library, please specify its location
and name via LDFLAGS
checking for mpirun... mpirun
configure-ac: mpirun not found or not from MPICH, please make it first
in your PATH
checking for mpcc... (cached) cc
checking whether the cc command works out of the box for MPI... no
configure-ac: trying to find a generic MPI
checking how to inline functions... static inline
checking the compiler type... gcc
checking whether the compiler accepts -fast... no
checking whether the compiler accepts -m64... yes
checking whether the compiler accepts -march=noconamo... no
checking whether the compiler accepts -msse2 -mfpmath=sse... yes
checking whether the compiler accepts -malign-double... no
checking whether the compiler accepts -O3... yes
checking whether the compiler accepts -Wno-unused-function... yes
checking whether the compiler accepts -Wall... yes
checking whether the compiler accepts -ffast-math... yes
checking whether the compiler accepts -floop-optimize... yes
checking whether the compiler accepts -funroll-loops... yes
checking whether the compiler accepts -fomit-frame-pointer... yes
checking whether the compiler accepts -finline-limit=1000000... yes
*                          Check for programs                  *
checking for gawk... (cached) mawk
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for doxygen... no
checking for pdflatex... /usr/bin/pdflatex
checking for makeindex... /usr/bin/makeindex
checking for bibtex... /usr/bin/bibtex
*                   Check for headers and libraries            *
checking for libtcl8.5... no
checking for libtcl8.4... no
checking for libtcl8.3... no
checking for libtcl8.2... no
checking for libtcl... no
configure-ac: error: Tcl library not found!

on my laptop libtcl 8.4 is found ( I just have to specify the path to
the header file and invoke the configuration script with:
./configure CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/tcl8.4) and this problem does not arise.

I am confused because I installed pretty much the same tcl packages on
both computers.
I am sure this is a rather trivial issue to fix, but so far I have not
achieved much (honestly I do not even know where I have to look up for
TCl libraries and headers).
Any suggestions are really welcome.
Many thanks

Lorenzo