[ESPResSo] possible bug in rigid bonds in forces.h ?

From: Ana Vila Verde
Subject: [ESPResSo] possible bug in rigid bonds in forces.h ?
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 16:01:24 +0200

Hi all,

I noticed that in forces.h (espresso-2.0.5l), array forces is not initialized in the part corresponding to rigid bonds.
#ifdef BOND_CONSTRAINT
   case BONDED_IA_RIGID_BOND:
     //add_rigid_bond_pair_force(p1,p2, iaparams, force, force2);
     bond_broken = 0;
     break;
#endif

Shouldn't it be initialized to zero to prevent unphysical forces to be added to the particles? (see "case 1" further down in the subroutine)
#ifdef BOND_CONSTRAINT
   case BONDED_IA_RIGID_BOND:
     //add_rigid_bond_pair_force(p1,p2, iaparams, force, force2);
     bond_broken = 0;
     f*orce[0]=0.; force[1]=0;force[2]=0; // added by ana*
     break;
#endif

I realize that most likely I am missing something that explains why this initialization is not necessary, but I've struggled with this for a while so I figured it was time to ask the experts. Thank you all for any help you can provide here.

Ana

Ana Vila Verde
Post-doctoral scholar
FOM Institute for Atomic and Molecular Physics [AMOLF]
P.O.Box 41883
1009 DB Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Phone: +31-20-6081392