Re: [ESPResSo] fixing center of mass

From: Axel Arnold
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo] fixing center of mass
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:04:24 +0200

Am Freitag 17 Oktober 2008 14:06 schrieb gil claudio:
> How does one fix the center of mass of a group of particles at a specific
> point, given that the simulation uses periodic boundary conditions?
>
> Here is how I did it:
> I placed the center of my group of particles (type 1) at the point I wanted
> it fixed, then called inter 1 1 comfixed 1
>
> I got this error message:
> works only with non periodic BC

Hi,

well, that is hardcoded in comfixed.h. However, I am not quite sure why, since
as far as I understand it, the routine in general does not depend on the
boundary conditions; it simply shifts the forces such that the force on the
COM is zero, which also works under PBC. Also, I do not quite see why setting
the comfixed-interaction actually zeros the forces and velocities of the
fixed particles.

Does anybody know why?

In the meantime, I would suggest you simply remove the check for the boundary
conditions (lines 39-41) and see whether it then works as you expect.

Axel

--
Dr. Axel Arnold
Fraunhofer SCAI