[ESPResSo-users] Fwd: Question of NVT ensemble

From: Florian Weik
Subject: [ESPResSo-users] Fwd: Question of NVT ensemble
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 23:13:35 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joe <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 5:17 PM
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Question of NVT ensemble
To: Florian Weik <address@hidden>

Hi Florian and Xikai and others,

Thanks for the information. The system I would like to simulate is a long, linear, charged polymer chain moving under inhomogeneous electric field in salt solution and untangle by hitting obstacles. To make this cheap, I don't think I can apply any solvent, including LB method.

So far it has L-J potential, linear elasticity, bending elasticity as well as Coulomb force. I would like to see how long does it take the chain to untangle as well as how it untangles. It is a system not close to equilibrium. But I do need some random motion of each bead so that the polymer chain is physical.

The options I think I have are: 1. scale the velocity of the bead so that the temperature is a constant. 2. scale the relative velocity to the center of the mass, so that the vibrational energy is conservative. 3. apply a Langevin thermostat so that the beads feel friction between each other and have the some random impulse from the solvent.

The option 2 and 3 seem to be the two best candidates. But will the option 3 be better for this?

Thanks,
Joe