Re: [ESPResSo-users] Particle in Fluid, periodic boundary conditions

From: Wink, Markus
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Particle in Fluid, periodic boundary conditions
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 17:08:19 +0000

Hello everybody,

I performed simulations as Ulf proposed to help to track the problem down. In detail three different simulations are performed, graphs on that can be found attached:

1)      I removed the boundaries, putting a particle with an initial velocity v_0y. I can see the exponential decrease of the velocity in y-direction (as expected). The z-position is pretty stable, nevertheless I see an (uncorrelated (?)) change of the velocity in z direction. It   seems to be directed towards the –z direction, although it is very small (of the orders of 1E-24 ), so I guess it is an numerical artifact (?). Nevertheless I don’t see the jump in the z-position nor in the z-velocity.

2)      A simulation as in 1), in addition the particle has an initial velocity in the +z direction (of the order I got for the lift force). I still see the exponential decrease in both the z- and y-velocity. No jumps of the z-position at the boundaries can be found.

3)      The same as simulation 1), but this time with boundaries. I see the migration towards the middle of the channel as expected (notice, that this time, the initial z-velocity of the particle is set to zero). Neither a jump in the z-velocity nor in the z-position can be seen.

In combination of the first script I posted (which was the same as in simulation 3 here, but furthermore an external force is exerted to the fluid) I see the jump in the z-component of the position and the z-component of the velocity only if there is a combination of boundaries and an external force acting on the fluid. What is missing is a simulation with no boundaries and an external force acting on the fluid.

I furthermore played around with the friction coefficient. If I lower it by three orders of magnitude, I still notice a jump in the z-component of the velocity, although it is not as steep as before. I am not sure what this means.

I hope this helps to isolate the problem.

Kind regards

Markus