Re: [ESPResSo-users] Rigid aspherical object in LB fluid

From: Iveta Jancigova
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Rigid aspherical object in LB fluid
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 10:44:55 +0100

Hello Rumen,

I think that the Object-in-fluid (OIF) module is not the best choice for your application.

While it is possible to use Espresso for simulations of rigid objects (either by setting the OIF elastic coefficients so that the object is very stiff or even better: by using virtual sites, where the object always keeps the same shape), it is problematic with respect to your other questions (starting with the most important one):

4. The physical friction between the disks and z-walls is not the friction we use with OIF. The friction coefficient in Espresso is a simulation parameter that represents the dissipative coupling between the immersed boundary of the object and the fluid. It needs to be properly calibrated so that the correct movement of object in fluid is achieved. We have some experience with modeling adhesion of objects to walls, but this is not the same as friction at the walls.

3. Currently, OIF cannot model objects with different density than the outside fluid.

1. Intersecting boundaries: in my experience, all nodes that are in at least one boundary, are boundary nodes and I have been using intersecting boundaries in this context. Problems may arise when your boundaries do not truly intersect but only touch, e.g.
BBBBBBFFFFFFF
FFFFFFBBBBBBB
where B stands for the boundary and F for fluid.
Maybe somebody else can comment in more detail on this topic.

Best,
Iva Jancigova

Message: 1