Re: [ESPResSo-users] Weird results from P3M interaction?

From: Clemens Jochum
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Weird results from P3M interaction?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 14:34:30 +0200

Dear Rudolf,

thanks again for your reply.

> Regarding the clustering: have you checked your charges on the ions? With
> Lennard-Jones repulsion + strong electrostatic attraction, you might even get
> them to crystallize.

In my system there are monovalent ions at room temperature. I don't
think that they should form crystals. I also observe this phenomenon for
a saltless system, which only contains the negatively charged dendrimer
and positive counter-ions. So the free ions actually only repel each other.

> What do you get when comparing
> U =q1*q2/(sigma_ion/l_b)
> to kT. Here, sigma_ion is the sigma from the ion-ion lj potential and l_b the
> Bjerrum length you chose (7, according to your p3m tuning output)

U = 1 * 1 / ( 4 / 7 ) = 7 / 4 = 1.75 kJ/mol
kT = 2.478 kJ/mol
So the thermal energy is larger by a factor of approx. 1.5.

> I'm not sure I understnad your setup.
> I suppose, you have two particle tyeps:
> * particles making up the dendrimer (say type 0)
> * salt ions (type 1)
>
> Now, there would be the following lj interactions:
> dendrimer-dendrimer (0,0):
>   either sigma=bond length, epsilon=few kT, cut_off=Something between 2^1/6
> bond length and more, depending on whether you want an attractive tail.
>   or cutoff=bond_length sigma=cutoff /(2^(1/6)), in which case the bonds ould
> not be stretched by the lj potential

To clarify:

The units in the dendrimer are polymer-like chains of several monomers
(see attached snapshot). The monomers in these chains are bound by a
harmonic bond with l_b = 3.4. I also have a harmonic angle bond, which
accounts for the stiffness of the chains. The LJ-interaction is not
needed for the interaction of neighbouring monomers, but for the
interaction between the chain-like arms of the dendrimer.

The parameters of the LJ interaction are:

sigma = 4
r_off = r_mon + r_mon - sigma = 14
r_cut = 2^1/6 * sigma

So it is a shifted WCA-potential that looks like:

4 * epsilon * (sigma / (r - r_off))^12 - (sigma / (r - r_off))^6 if
r_off < r < r_off + r_cut

and it is 0 otherwise.

Because the harmonic bond forces neighbouring monomers to be around the
point of divergence (r = r_off = 14 = 4.12 * l_b) of the LJ-potential I
encountered some problems. This is why I want to exclude the 4 nearest
neighbours from the LJ-interaction.

It's kind of an intricate model, I hope I could make it comprehensible.

Best Regards,

Clemens