Re: Errors while installing ESPResSO

From: Jean-Noël Grad
Subject: Re: Errors while installing ESPResSO
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 12:08:58 +0100

Hi,

According to the CMake output, the HIP compiler was selected to compile espresso for your AMD chipset. If this is indeed what you intended, instructions to install the ROCm SDK can be found at the end of section 2.1.1. Installing requirements on Ubuntu Linux:
http://espressomd.org/html/doc/installation.html#installing-requirements-on-ubuntu-linux

If however you intended to compile espresso for the NVIDIA graphics card, you'll need to modify the espresso CMakeLists.txt file. CMake will not detect the main GPU, instead it will try all available GPU compilers on your system and select the first one that works, in your case the HIP compiler. To avoid that, please try this: in /home/agelosmo/Desktop/Simulations/espresso/CMakeLists.txt at line 181, replace "if(HIP_FOUND)" by "if(0)" to skip the HIP compiler. CMake will then try to find NVIDIA CUDA 9.0. If CMake then says it couldn't find a GPU compiler, it means that your installation of NVIDIA CUDA is not properly detected by CMake.

Best regards,
JN