Re: Langevin thermostat question

From: Ulf D Schiller
Subject: Re: Langevin thermostat question
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 17:14:46 +0000

David,

The factor of 24 is correct, provided a uniform distribution of random
numbers between 0 and 1 with variance of 1/12 is used. The theoretical
discussions of the Langevin thermostat typically assume a random
distribution with zero mean and unit variance, hence in practice the
actual variance of the random number generator has to be factored in.

By changing the factor, you effectively decrease the temperature of your
system which may not be what you want.

When using MASS, keep in mind that the units of langevin_gamma are
mass/time, so you may have to adjust it to get the desired ratio of the
relevant forces in your system (aka dimensionless numbers such as Re,
Ca, ..., you name it).

Hope this helps,
Ulf

--
Dr. Ulf D. Schiller
Assistant Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering

Office: 299c Sirrine Hall
Phone: 1-864-656-2669
Fax: 1-864-656-5973