Re: Discussion: Switching Esprseso to shared memory parallelization

From: Ulf D Schiller
Subject: Re: Discussion: Switching Esprseso to shared memory parallelization
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 03:28:04 +0000

Hi Rudolf and All,

I second Steffen's comments on weighing different aspects. My group is
currently not using ESPResSo for any large scale applications. Having
followed the development almost since its inception, I hope you
nevertheless allow me to add some considerations and perhaps clear up
some conflation in the arguments.

* When comparing paradigms, one has to be careful not to compare apples
with oranges. You correctly describe shared-memory and
distributed-memory parallelization as different paradigms, but also mix
it with a consideration of overheads/delays. It is certainly true that
MPI-based parallelization involves accessing and copying data between
processes. However, modern MPI implementations can handle intra-node
communication fairly efficiently -- both MPICH and OpenMPI can use
shared memory for message transfer and since MPI-3 there is also
explicit shared memory programming. Even for inter-node communication,
latency can typically be hidden by overlapping communication and
computation. I am not sure that one would find a substantial performance
difference between a semi-decent MPI-code on a single node and its
OpenMP counterpart. An optimized version of the latter can in principle
be faster, but that would be demonstrated best with benchmark data.

Apart from comparing the paradigms per-se, I would give some
consideration to programming models and tool stacks. MPI is arguably the
de-facto standard for distributed memory parallelization which brings
the advantage of composability and portability (and to a good extent
backwards compatibility). For shared-memory parallelization, the
landscape is more diverse with different toolchains depending on
architecture/vendor, and there is some uncertainty as to how that
landscape will evolve, say in the next decade.

* "Adding new features to Espresso will be easier, because a lot of
non-trivial communication code does not have to be written."
"Writing and validating MPI-parallel code is difficult."

I beg to differ on these points. MPI parallelization does not have to be
that difficult to implement and test. In my experience, debugging
shared-memory/thread-level parallelism can quickly become much more
non-trivial and cumbersome. Generally, I don't think the learning curve
for MPI is steeper than that for OpenMP when going beyond trivial loop
parallelization.

To give one example of extensibility, the original halo communication
scheme for the grid-based kernels in ESPResSo (P3M, MEMD, LB) was
designed to accommodate varying halo extents and data content, so adding
a new property was as simple as adding a field to the underlying
MPI_Datatype. I can see how things are a bit more involved for
particles, perhaps because the ghost particle scheme began to evolve at
the time of MPI-1 when derived datatypes weren't around. It might be
worth assessing whether this could be addressed by refactoring the ghost
communication and leveraging more modern MPI capabilities.

* "The MPI and Boost::MPI dependencies complicate Espresso's
installation and make it virtually impossible to run Espresso on public
Python platforms such as Azure Notebooks or Google Collab as well as
building on Windows natively."

Hmm... I'm not sure I fully understand. I am regularly building other
software packages with MPI and Boost dependencies on various systems; I
am not a fan of cmake superbuilds but they seem to work reasonably well
in case of conflicting dependencies with system-wide installed
libraries. At any rate, this type of issue can occur with any other
library and is not an issue of MPI itself.

As for Azure and Collab, my personal take is that those are not really
platforms I desire to run a scientific computing application on. I would
rather look to federated HPC clouds where academic stakeholders might
have a say in future developments.

* "Assuming that one million time steps per day is acceptable"

For this assumption to be meaningful, one has to know what one million
time steps mean physically. And not just how many (pico, nano, micro,
...)-seconds, but what does it mean in terms of the characteristic
relaxation time? Given the range that one can find in soft matter, I'm
afraid it's really tough to find a general notion of what is acceptable.
I think that one can find many examples that are out of the question to
address on a single node.

As Steffen already pointed out, if ESPResSo becomes a single-node code,
the availability of HPC resources will be severely limited if not
completely axed. I would add a consideration regarding potential funding
sources: The major funding agencies including ERC are committed to
exascale computing and substantial amounts of money are pumped into
hard/software/co-design to demonstrate capability at scale. This is not
necessarily science driven, whether you like it or not, but a code that
cannot run across nodes is unlikely to be considered meritorious. I also
think ESPResSo would be less likely to attract users, as people tend to
select packages with the "bigger" set of features regardless whether
they actually need them or not.

So, eventually it boils down to the question who your targeted users are
(mostly ICP or broader community) and whether you want ESPResSo to play
a role in the HPC ecosystem. I hope that my comments do not come across
as too opinionated; I recognize that there are many more factors to
consider and hopefully my outside perspective will help you navigate the
decision-making process.

Best regards,
Ulf

--
ULF D. SCHILLER
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING

299C Sirrine Hall
Clemson, SC 29634
o 864-656-2669
uschill@clemson.edu