fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Re: Specify what directory should be rsynced

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Re: Specify what directory should be rsynced
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:00:20 -0400

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Wes Winham <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm super excited about how much rsync is going to speed up my
> deployment process when I'm just applying small changes. Thanks for
> the awesome work.

Call me silly, but isn't this what version control is for? Maintain a
checkout of your release branch (or a release tag) and then just do
e.g. "svn up" (or "svn switch") during your deploy process.

I'm sure there are plenty of scenarios where that doesn't work, but
for the common case it seems to be widespread enough to be considered
best practices *shrug*

At any rate, I'm definitely all for adding flexibility to the builtin
tools like rsync_project -- so don't think I'm poo-pooing that! --
just curious what it may offer over what I'm personally used to.

Best,
Jeff

P.S. Still cranking away on magic-removal, been relatively busy lately
but hoping to get back on it full-steam soon!