fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] functionality suggestions

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] functionality suggestions
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:36:24 -0400

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Christian Vest
Hansen<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Jeff Forcier<address@hidden> wrote:
>> It now only adds the host
>> suffix if it would operate on >1 host
>
> This is potentially troublesome.

Fair points, though I'm not entirely convinced -- it's always a
tradeoff. It's documented pretty plainly right now so I'd wager the
chance of catching someone off guard is the same chance that someone
like Timothee would be caught off guard by the old behavior.

There's also no perfect way of configuring it (that being the enemy of
good notwithstanding.) If it becomes an "add suffix" on/off switch,
then someone going to the effort of toggling it could just as easily
modify their task to not assume one behavior or the other.

I think the current behavior is relatively sensible, in that it
handles the most common use cases with the least amount of surprise,
and I'd rather avoid a lot of back and forth until after 0.9 comes
out. Especially since it's remotely possible that this would factor
into the planned host-related framework, e.g. files for/from a given
host going into some local subdirectory, or something like that (note:
not planning *to* do this, but point being that it is tangentially
related.)

-Jeff