fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] dryrun?

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] dryrun?
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 20:42:09 -0400

Hi Jorge,

Apologies for the wait, and the semi bad news -- I think I will hold
off on putting this in, for now.

I very much like the idea, but prefer that such a feature fulfill two
requirements:

1. Don't actually connect, at all, for any reason (arguments can
probably be made against this, however.)
2. Apply equally to all operations.

Your patch is, naturally, nice and simple, but it only applies to
run/sudo, not to put/get/local. And in order to apply the dry-run idea
to some of those later 3, such as put(), some nontrivial
refactoring/rewriting would need to be done in order to meet #1 above.

So I'd rather do this right or not at all, and so I'm pushing it off
to be done after 0.9 final goes out the door. Sorry! :) It will
definitely be in for 1.0.

Best,
Jeff